Ulli Theeyal (shallots cooked in a roasted coconut gravy)
This is a Kerala speciality.Shallots are being sautéd and then cooked in a tamarind based, roasted coconut gravy.Tempered in natural coconut oil,this is such a nostalgic delicacy for any Keralite.
2 cups Shallots (can be chopped into two if big)
2 pieces of drumsticks (2 inched)
2 green chillies
1 small piece of ginger chopped fine
2 medium sized garlic chopped fine
1 1/2 cup grated coconut
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Chilly powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
4 tbspTamarind water
Coconut oil,mustard and curry leaves as needed
- Heat oil and sauté shallots,drumstick,green chillies,ginger and garlic till the shallots turn light brown.
- Roast the grated coconut in another pan.When it reach red,add all the powders without burning.
- Grind this coconut mixture adding little water.Should be thick gravy.
- Add this mixture to sautéd veggies along with tamarind water and salt.Boil it till the flavour blends well and oil floats over the top.
- Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves in coconut oil and pour it over the curry.
- Serve with hot hot rice.Its a superb combination with fish fry.