This is a classic fish preparation from Kerala.Cooked in an earthenwareware pot or Man chatty,the interesting variation in this curry may be the raw and unseasoned spices consumed in a unique way ! The curry tastes best the day after it is prepared ,and even better the following days !! Obviously after the reheating every day,it goes mellifluous more.Worth trying !
- 250 gm cleaned fish
- 5-6 shallots, sliced
- 1 small piece of ginger sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic sliced
- 1 green chilly sliced lengthwise
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 2 pieces of coccum (sourness depends again on your taste and the brand you use)
- 2 tbsp kashmiri chilly powder (this powder is not so hot.This depends on your tolerence level)
- Half tsp turmeric powder
- Half tsp fenugreek powder (roasted)
- Salt,water and coconut oil as required
- In a small bowl,mix all the powders adding some water
- In an earthernware pot/manchatty,put all the ingredients other than the fish and oil.Mix well .
- Add the fish and don’t use the spoon to mix now.
- Bring the curry to a boil and once boiled,close and cook for 5-6 mts
- Switch off the stove.Shake the chatty/vessel and swirl to mix the curry well.
- Pour few drops of coconut oil and curry leaves over and cover.
* This dish can be used for many days to come.Enjoy with rice or tapioca !