Achinga payar aka kerala string bean is a favourite of all ! If you ask hundred malayalees about their nostalgic pick of dishes,I am sure you will hear at least from 85 mouths this particular achinga olathu or achinga mezhukkupuratty as they call it !Along with rice (kuthari choru) and a fish curry,this is my favorite too.We usually will be having this at our own backyards especially during the festival of Onam ! The cleaning and sorting of achinga payar is a serious affair there in Kerala since the experience only can help you to select between which is to be shelled and not.The hard ones usually will be shelled and the tender ones can be cooked.Never use knife for this.Use hand instead and have a great time talking .Thats the way they do it for ages now ! Before I move on to the cooking part,I must remind you that there is not much complex cooking in this.Just cook the cleaned beans and then saute it with coconut oil and spices.But the subtle flavors work for the dish,believe !!
- 500 gm string bean cleaned,sorted and washed well
- 3/4 cup water
- handful of shallots crushed
- 3 dried red chillies crushed
- 1 clove garlic crushed(optional,i usually prefer not having it though)
- salt,curry leaves and coconut oil as needed
- Boil the water in a shallow pan.Add salt and drop the beans.cook well.
- Heat coconut oil in a frying pan or cheena chatty.Add the crushed shallots.Saute for one minute.Add crushed red chillies,garlic and curry leaves and mix well till it get fried and browned well.
- Add the cooked beans along with the water if any.Stir fry mixing with care and beans get well coated with the shallot oil mixture.Check the seasoning.
- Serve hot with rice.