Dry fish is another favorite choice among Keralaites.In most of the households,there will be some handy dry fish, often used as a substitute for fresh ones.Interestingly you may find as many recipes as there are a wide variety of dry fish ! This is one among them.
- 500 gm dry fish
- 1 cup of chopped plantain (preferably Ethakkaya/kerala plantain)
- 3/4 cup sliced sour mango pieces ( can be replaced with 2 pieces of coccum)
- Small piece of ginger sliced
- 1 Green chilly slitted lengthwise
- Handful of shallots sliced
- 1.5 cup of grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp chilly powder
- 1.5 cup water
- 2 sprig fresh curry leaves
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Soak the dry fish in water at least for half an hour.This process is to remove excess salt in the fish.
- Chop the plantains into 2 inch pieces and drop in salted water.(to remove stain)
- Grind the coconut along with all powders to a fine paste.
- Now shift the coconut mixture to clay pot and add 1.5 cup water to that.Mix in the washed mango pieces,plantains,ginger,green chilly and shallots into this.Close the pot with a lid and bring to boil.
- When it boils,reduce the flame and cook till the plantain pieces are almost cooked.
- Meanwhile clean and wash the dry fish thoroughly in running water.
- Add the fish pieces to the curry and rotate the pot with hands.Bring to a boil and now check the salt.If needed you may add salt only at this stage.
- Cook till the gravy thickens and oil clears on the top.Off the stove and few drops of coconut oil and curry leaves.Close with a proper lid and wait for at least 30 mts.
- Serve hot with rice !!