This is another fish delicacy from Kerala.A rather dry preparation with coconut and cocum.So far from what I have seen,the fish used in this dish is small,either anchovies or sardine/mackerel.It won’t be so bad an option to use fish fillets I feel.But the particular nostalgic flavor may be missing.Here is pretty anchovies de boned and prepared in manchatty !! (earthen pot)
- 3 cup anchovies de boned and cleaned
- 1.5 cup grated coconut
- Handful of shallots
- small piece of ginger
- 4 small garlic cloves
- 3 green chillies (according to your tolerance level)
- half tsp turmeric powder
- half tsp chilly powder (optional)
- 2 spring curry leaves
- 2 pieces of cocum (again depending on the sourness it has)
- Half cup water
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- salt as required
- Shift the cleaned fish into Manchatty/earthern pot
- Crush the grated coconut along with shallots,ginger,garlic,chillies, turmeric and chilly powders
- Now mix it with fish and add salt.
- Add cocum and water .Bring to boil and then reduce the heat.
- Drop in the curry leaves .Shake the pot and don’t stir with a spoon.
- Check the seasoning .Now if any water remains,cook it uncovered till the water is almost evaporated.
- Switch off the stove and sprinkle two tsp coconut oil over this.Close with the lid and set aside for half an hour before serving.(This will bring real flavours out..)
- Serve with rice !!