Ayala porichathundu…karimeen varuthathundu..kudampuliyittu vacha nalla chemmeen kariyundu…
These are the beginning lines of a famous malayalam film song where a loving wife invites her hubby for lunch describing the scrumptious fish preparations she got for him.She mentions about the Spicy Ayala/mackerel and pearlspot fries and then tempting him with the narration of prawn curry simmered along with coccum..A good example of how dedicated we are into fish !!
Karimeen/Pearl spot is one fresh water fish we all die for in Kerala..We prepare immense dishes with this distinct flavored fish like simmering in coconut milk,wrap along with spicy masala and grill,and of course a spicy pan fry.If you are having this for the first time,be careful about the sharp small bones.Clean the fish always rubbing salt and vinegar.
I have already posted a fish fry recipe here,which can be used for any variety fish.This,however, is with slight changes adding ginger and garlic,so to be spicy and lime juice which can enhance the natural flavor of karimeen.
5 medium size whole karimeen/pearlspot
Coconut oil as needed
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp chilly powder
2 tbsp crushed black peppercorns
1 small piece of ginger
2 cloves of garlic
Lime juice of one Lime
2 sprig curry leaves
salt,water as needed
- Clean the fish rubbing salt and vinegar.Make gashes on both sides.
- Meanwhile grind all other ingredients adding water if needed to make it a fine marinade.
- Apply the marinade over each Pearlspot.Marinate for at least one hour.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and fry the fish over law heat.Flip over when one side is done,and fry on the other side.
- Serve hot with rice,curry and thoran.