This thick spicy fish preparation made with seer fish,is the one I adapted from the popular malayalam cookery show called “Taste of Kerala”.Since the fish curry/vattichathu proved superb with spices and coconut milk combo,I thought I would share it here.
- 500 gms Seer fish slices
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 medium size onion sliced
- 2 green chilly slitted lengthwise
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 2 tsp kashmiri chilly powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- half tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup thick coconut milk
- 5 tsp kashmiri chilly powder
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 2.5 tbsp crushed ginger
- Lime juice of one lime
- Clean the seer fish slices and pat dry
- Make the marinade and apply it all over the fish and keep it for half an hour
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and fry the slices slightly in law heat
- Now place a kadai and pour the remaining fried oil.Heat oil and sauté onion ,green chillies and curry leaves till onion changes into light brown.
- Add chilly,coriander and turmeric powders and sauté till the raw smell disappears.
- Place the fried slices over the masala and pour the coconut oil over this.Shake the pan and simmer in law heat till the oil separates over the top.
- Check the seasoning and serve hot with fish/ tapioca/palappam/vellayappam
* The interesting fact about the recipe is that we are not using any souring agent directly in the curry.Since it’s unusual in Kerala,we may have a doubt about the taste.But,It’s a super hit.That’s my verdict.