Erissery is an inevitable part of sadya/vegetable meals in Kerala.This is a distinct flavoured curry with thick coconut base made of different vegetables according to the availability and taste.Absolutely an individual choice,I made this flavourful erissery with koorka/Chinese Potato.
- 100 gm Toor Dal/തുവരപ്പരിപ്പ്
- 250 gm koorka/Chinese Potato
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- water as required
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- water as needed
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 5 shallots chopped
- half tsp mustard seeds
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- Wash and peel the Chinese Potatoes.Cook them along with toor dal,turmeric powder,chilly powder,salt and water.(Easy method of course is pressure cooking)
- Meanwhile grind the coconut and cumin seeds adding enough water to blend.
- Add this coconut mixture to the curry and simmer.Check the seasoning.
- Now heat coconut oil in a small skillet and splutter mustard seeds and chopped shallots till the shallots turn light brown.Add curry leaves and pour it over the curry.Let the curry remain closed for a while since it will help to merge in the flavours.