Unakka chemeen/dried shimp is a superhit in several Kerala Kitchens.Having intense flavour and smell, grinded along with roasted coconut,it is dramatically a great accomapniment to your meals.This is a dry preparation and can be kept in air tight containers.
- 50 gm dried shrimp cleaned (head and tail part removed)
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 8-10 dry chilly
- I small raw mango sliced/gooseberry sized tamarind (according to the sourness)
- salt as needed
- Heat dry shrimp in a skillet till it changes colour
- Spread it in a plate or paper and pick all unnecessary parts.
- Roast the dry chillies in coal.
- Now blend all the ingredients together (not salt since the dry fish will have some) in a small grinder until it goes coarse.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Serve with hot steaming Kanji/rice gruel or choru/rice..
*Pour few drops of coconut oil for a better taste.