During my stay in Trivandrum,along with my friends and colleagues,have explored many unique restaurants.Sagara at Vazhuthakkad was one among them.It was a small place with may be three tables to eat.But their main business comes through take aways.Sagara,as the name indicates,had a wide variety of sea food .What we loved most about them was their unique meen mutta thoran (മീന് മുട്ട തോരന് )/fish roe stir fry with coconut.It tasted so homely that most of us,who are homesick happen to end up there to collect our share of meen mutta thoran !! No wonder why I suddenly took my pen and pad to record the recipe when I see the same hotel people narrating how they make this delicious thoran in a television show (Taste of Kerala).Do check this recipe.But with the small and fresh roes as we get in Kerala like sardine and mackerel may produce best results.It’s divine !!
250 gm meen mutta/fish roe
1/4 cup grated coconut
1 small onion chopped
1 green chilly chopped
1 banana pepper cut into two (thondan mulaku,having a unique taste)
1 tsp chopped ginger
2 pinches of turmeric powder
1 tsp chilly powder
3/4 tsp pepper powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
2 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
salt as needed
coconut oil as needed
- Wash the fish roe gently in cold water,other wise it may break.If you are using big,cut into pieces.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Throw ginger pieces,green chilly,chopped onion and banana pepper/ thondan mulaku (തൊണ്ടന് മുളക്) and fry well for 1 minute.
- Add meen mutta/fish roe and sauté vigourously with spoon.You can mash them in between and sauté.Continue this procedure for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder,chilly and pepper powders and mix well till the raw smell disappears.
- Add salt and grated coconut at this stage and continue sautéing.Check in between whether the roe has cooked well.This may take 4-5 mts.
- Finally add cumin powder and switch off the stove.
- Mix well once again and check the seasoning.
- Serve hot with choru/rice and moru curry/buttermilk curry for a great combo !
*This recipe uses lots of chilly.Needless to say,it is spicy in a way.You can adjust to your tolerance level there.Enjoy !!