Saffron rice is an Indian specialty rice preparation and always been a big hit even without curry in my family.For me it’s a divine dish in many ways.First it’s my daughters favourite and then very easy to prepare.It’s a simple yet superb idea to give a twist to rice with awesome saffron flavour.Isn’t it ?
1.5 cups basmati rice,washed,soaked for 30 mts and drained
2 tbsp ghee/oil
5 cardamom pods
1 bay leaf
1 piece of cinnamon stick (2 inches)
1 small onion thinly sliced
2 cups water
Few saffron strands soaked in 1/4 cup hot milk
salt as needed
1 green chilly slit lengthwise (optional)
- Heat the ghee in thick bottomed vessel and fry cinnamon,cloves,cardamom and bay leaf for 1 minute.
- Add the drained rice to it and mix well for another minute till the rice fully coated with ghee.
- Drop the green chilly,onion slices and saffron along with milk.Mix well again and pour water and bring to a boil.Add salt.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the rice is cooked .
- Switch off the stove and let it remain with a closed lid for some more time.
- Serve with spicy curry.