Pachadi is an inevitable part of Kerala Sadya.It is a combination of vegetables and yogurt with a special flavour of mustard.We use almost all vegetables and leafs to make a delicious pachadi.It is truly a pleasure to have,and yes,very healthy, not to forget.
3 cups chopped cheera/kerala spinach
4-5 tbsp water
1 cup Curd (not so sour)
To Grind & Crush
3-4 green chillies (depends on your tolerance level)
1 cup grated coconut
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (to crush)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 dried red chilly (kollamulaku)
1 sprig curry leaf
salt as needed
- Cook the chopped spinach along with water and salt.
- Grind coconut and chillies to a smooth paste and just before finishing grinding,add the mustard seeds to it and just crush them for a second.
- Mashed the cooked spinach well with a spoon and add the coconut mixture to this.Bring it to a boil.
- Switch off the stove and allow the spinach mix to cool.
- Add curd to this and mix well.Check salt and adjust the taste.
- Heat oil in a small skillet and splutter mustard seeds,dried chillies and curry leaves.Pour it over the curry.
- Serve with rice.