1/2 kg beef (preferably buffalo) chopped into medium pieces
1 cup sliced shallots
3 tbsp ginger,chopped
10 big cloves of garlic,sliced
1/2-1 cup chopped coconut pieces
1 tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1cup hot water
8-10 shallots chopped
1 tsp coconut oil
3 sprig curry leaves
1.5 tbsp coriander powder
2 tbsp chilly powder
3/4 tsp pepper powder
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 inch piece cinnamon
1 star anise
- Clean,wash the beef pieces and drain.
- Make a paste with the ingredients in the masala section adding little water.
- In a pressure cooker,heat 2 tbsp coconut oil and sauté garlic,ginger and shallot slices for about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped coconut to this and sauté till the shallots are properly roasted and coconut pieces changes colour.
- Add the masala paste and roast till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add the beef chops,salt and sauté well for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and hot water.Mix well and close the cooker with the lid.After the first whistle,reduce the flame and cook for another 20-25 minutes.
- Open the lid and cook again till the water is completely absorbed.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed skillet and sauté chopped shallots (the original recipe asks for mustard seeds,which I omit always).Add curry leaves and beef along with masala.Roast slowly in law heat sautéing in between.Roast till the colour goes dark brown.
- Check the seasoning.
- Serve with rice/puttu/appam/parotta
*Recipe Source:Lakshmi Nair.