With many festivals round the corner,I thought of posting something that can be useful for the season.This Manga/mango pickle is a quick fix and so can be used instantly.Usually for Kerala Sadyas,we use such ones for the freshness they offer.This is again a recipe I adapted from Lakshmi Nair,the food diva from Kerala.
1/2 kg raw mango chopped into small pieces (you may peel the skin as well.I didn’t)
4 tbsp chilly powder (you may reduce too)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
1/4 tsp fenugreek powder
50 gm sesame oil (nallenna)
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
3 dry chillies
2 sprig curry leaves
- Marinate mango pieces rubbing turmeric powder and salt for one hour.
- Now mix in the chilly,asafoetida and fenugreek powders to this.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet till smoke appears.Switch off the stove and splutter mustard seeds,dry chillies and curry leaves.Suddenly pour this to the mango mixture and mix well till the bubbles from the oil disappears and raw smell of powders withdraw.
- Now boil 1/4 cup water in the same skillet (the one which you used for heating oil) and pour it to the pickle.Mix well.
- Serve with rice/chapathi.
*This instant pickle is on it’s way to Priya’s & Aipi’s Bookmarked Recipes.