Erissery is a traditional vegetable preparation from Kerala. Vegetables are cooked in a special coconut gravy and again been tempered with fried coconut ! Traditionally,erissery calls for ghee instead of oil.This will give it a special flavour which enhances the taste…
To cook vegetables
1 raw banana (ethakkaya),peeled and chopped into small pieces
250 gm yam,peeled and chopped into big pieces
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp pepper powder
1/2 cup water
2 sprig curry leaves
1 tbsp Ghee/oil
1/2 cup water
To grind into smooth paste
1 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp grated coconut
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
- Pressure cook the yam adding the ingredients given under the section till two whistles.Now open the lid and add the chopped banana pieces.Mix well and close the cooker with the lid.Again cook till 2 whistles and switch off.
- Meanwhile grind coconut and cumin seeds into a very smooth paste adding little water.
- Open the pressure ecooker and add either ghee or oil and fry the vegetables again for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut paste to this and mix well.If needed you can add little water to loose the gravy.(Erissery is a thick gravy,don’t forget.)Simmer this for a while,till the gravy thickens.Check the salt.
- Now heat coconut oil in a small skillet and splutter mustard seeds.Add the grated coconut and fry till it turn brown.Add this to curry and mix.
- Serve with rice.