Pazha Manga Kaalan (പഴമാങ്ങ കാളന് ) or Mambzha Pulissery is a sweet and sour curry simmered in yoghurt and coconut gravy.Traditionally,this recipe is interesting since it’s not using a single drop of water.The Ripe mangoes are been cooked in its own juice and so it remains a rich curry .Usually in Kerala we use ripe naattu manga-നാട്ടുമാങ്ങ (a special variety of mango having a unique smell)to make this curry.But with any sweet mango,the curry is fantastic.I am so proud to share this very authentic recipe from Kerala here.
I have lots of sweet and sour memories associated with this special dish.My Daddy used to make this one with the sweet naatu mangas we had at our own backyard.He was a very choosy chef who shared lots of ‘unique’ tastes to me.We all loved and appreciated his recipes for it’s authentic and classy taste.Though my mom was a super cook herself,it was Daddy’s occasional cooking we always been looking for.That included many nostalgic dishes from his family with tons of stories to go with ..My Daddy,physically his presence is not there with us,but we cherish his memories in almost everything we say and do ! So,this is for My Daddy,the enthusiastic Chef ever !!
To Cook Mangoes
3 ripe, sweet, peeled whole mangoes
1 green chilly
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilly powder
1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
1 cup grated coconut (loose)
3/4 cup curd (should be sour)
1 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 pinches of fenugreek powder
2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard sseds
1 dry chilly
1 sprig curry leaf
- Put the peeled mangoes and all the ingredients mentioned in the ‘cook’section in a thick bottomed vessel.Mix well with your hand and squeeze the mangoes well.This will bring out the pulp and juice of the mangoes to cook the same.Don’t use water.
- Now bring this mixture to a boil and reduce the flame.Cook this mango mixture well in the pulp and be careful of not burning it.Mix well in between.
- Meanwhile grind the coconut,curd and cumin seeds without adding water into a fine paste.
- Switch off the stove when the mango gravy gets thick and cooked well.After that add the coconut paste and mix well.You dont have to boil this again.Just allow the paste to get mixed well with the mango gravy.It should be a thick one.Let it to cool.Sprinkle the fenugreek powder.
- Heat oil in a small skillet and splutter mustard seeds,dry chilly and curry leaves.Pour it over the Curry.