This is a dry preparation with pineapple that can go along with a spicy curry.The flavour is so unique with chilly and mustard that very well balance the sharpness of pineapple.Being cooked in coconut milk,the pineapple absorbs the creamy,rich and sweet flavour.I have adapted this classic recipe from one of my favourite cook books, India’s best recipes.
To cook Pineapple
1 heaped cup pineapple,peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup water
Pinch of turmeric powder
1 crushed dry chilly
Pinch of sugar
To roast pineapple
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 dry chilly broken into two
2 sprig curry leaves
- Put the chopped pineapple in a medium sized pot adding the coconut milk,water,turmeric powder and crushed chillies.
- Bring to a slow simmer over law heat and cook covered for 10-12 minutes.The pineapple should be soft and not mushy.
- Now add salt and sugar.Cook uncovered till the gravy thickens.
- Heat oil in another skillet and splutter mustard and cumin seeds.Add the chopped onion and fry for 5-6 minutes till the onion changes colour.
- Add the chillies and curry leaves.Fry for another 2 minutes.Now pour the cooked pineapple into this.Stir well and remove from the heat.