This was another evening fascination for me and my brother during school days.Looking into our bowls of cute rice balls floating in coconut milk,we will first count how many balls we earned. Ha-ha..looking back I feel so ashamed that depending on the increase/decrease of the number there will be the inevitable fight waiting.Now when I make these for my daughter,there is none to fight for though.Sometimes food and the memories they bring along make our eyes wet..
Here is the recipe of sweet and cute Mani puttu all the way from Kerala..
1 cup roasted rice flour
1 1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp oil
3-4 tbsp grated coconut
1 cup thick coconut milk
- Bring the water to a boil adding the salt and oil.
- When it boils reduce the flame and add rice flour little by little.Mix well with a spoon and switch off the stove.
- Let it cool till you can knead with hand.Knead well and make small balls out of it.(the size of a small lemon)
- Now in a puttu maker/steamer first drop the grated coconut and then fill the balls.Drop the remaining coconut over the balls and steam in medium heat for 5-7 minutes .
- Now pour the coconut milk in a bowl and mix in sugar.Drop the mani puttu /rice balls into this and keep for half an hour.Serve manipputtu with coconut milk in small bowls/cups.