1/2 cup Vanpayar/Red Cow Peas soaked in water for about 7-8 hours
250 gm pumpkin peeles & diced
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp chilly powder
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup grated coconut
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 garlic cloves
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 dry chilly
few curry leaves
- Pressure cook the cow peas and pumpkin adding turmeric and chilly powders,salt and water.After 4 whistles,switch off the stove and keep till the pressure goes .
- Meanwhile grind the coconut adding cumin and cloves.The paste should be thick.So add little water and grind.
- After the pressure releases,open the cooker and mash the cow peas and pumpkin with a wooden spoon.This will make it a thick gravy .While mashing,don’t make it like a paste.The pieces should be still visible.
- Add the ground coconut mixture to this and mix well.Bring it to a boil and then slow simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Check salt .The gravy should be thick.
- Now heat oil in a small skillet and splutter the mustard seeds,dry chilly and curry leaves.Pour it over the curry.