1 cup of toor dal/pigeon peas
1 tsp of turmeric powder
2 cups of diced vegetables(potato,plantain,pumpkin,carrot,taro root)
2 Ladies finger chopped
1 Tomato chopped
1/4 cup shallots
One green chilly sliced
1/4 cup tamarind water/juice
I small piece of asafoetida
To Roast and Grind
1 Cup grated coconut
5 tsp of coriander seeds
4 Dried red chillies
1 tsp of fenugreek seeds
1 tsp uzhunnuparippu/urad dal/black gram
2 tsp of gram dal (kadalapparippu)
1 small tsp Mustard seeds
1 small piece of asafoetida
2 Sprig curry leaves
- Cook/Pressure cook toor dal adding tumeric powder, salt and enough water.
- when dal is half cooked,add the vegetables which take time to cook like potatoes, plantain,carrot,taro,pumpkin etc.Drop the piece of asafoetida.
- After 4-5 minutes add whole shallots and tamarind water.
- When they are almost cooked add the ladies finger and chopped tomatoes
- Meanwhile roast the coconut in some oil and add the spices mentioned in the roast section.Roast till the coconut turn to brown colour,
- Grind this to a fine paste adding enough water.Don’t make it too watery.
- Add this coconut mixture to the sambar and let it simmer in medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Check salt and spices now.switch off the stove.
- Heat coconut oil in a small frying pan and splutter mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves .Pour this into sambar and mix properly.